Educator of the Year
Every school in Connecticut has a number of outstanding educators. The purpose of this award is to give public recognition in Connecticut and nationally to a CAS member school educator.
Nominations may be made by any present or former member of the school staff or district central office personnel. The educator chosen will receive recognition in the media, in CAS publications and at a CAS sponsored ceremony in her/his community.
The following criteria will be used to determine the recipient of this award.
- Candidate must be a practicing educator at a CAS member school who exhibits the following:a. Demonstrates excellence in teaching;
b. Demonstrates involvement with students, staff, and parents in and out of the classroom;
c. Demonstrates leadership within the profession.
- The candidate should be in at least her/his fifth year as a practicing teacher in Connecticut and in at least the third year in his/her present position.
- Each of the three areas on the accompanying nomination document must be addressed individually. The total response is limited to six pages (exclusive of Nomination Title Sheet).
- Nominations must be accompanied by three (3) letters of recommendation, by any persons who are qualified to judge the professional performance of the candidate. Either the nomination or one of the three letters of recommendation must be from the building principal. Incomplete nominations will not be considered.
- Finalists will be asked to write a one to two page reflective essay about his/her beliefs, motivations and/or experiences.
- The successful candidate will also be invited to share her/his expertise through CAS sponsored workshops and publications. The sponsoring school district may asked to release the “Exemplary Educator of the Year” for one or two school days for in-service and/or celebration activities.
|Year||Level||First Name||Last Name||School||City/Town|
|2016-17||Elementary||Diana||Burns||Daisy Ingraham Elementary School||Westbrook|
|Middle Level||Daniel||Peterson||Leonard J. Tyl Middle School||Oakdale|
|High School||Ryan||Campbell||Connecticut IB Academy||East Hartford|
|2015-16||Elementary||Lisa||Caldwell||J. Milton Jeffrey Elementary School||Madison|
|Middle Level||Janet||Rossi||John Read Middle School||Redding|
|High School||Sarah||Anderson-Potts||Windsor High School||Windsor|
|Middle Level||Catherine||Freeman||Sage Park Middle School||Windsor|
|High School||Dr. Sibani||Sengupta||Sacred Heart Academy||Hamden|
|2013-14||Elementary||Alicia||Schiavo||Washington Elementary School||Waterbury|
|Middle Level||Robert||Rose||Smith Middle School||Glastonbury|
|High School||Joleen||Pillar||The Gilbert School||Winsted|
|2012-13||Elementary||Deborah||Beaudoin||Canton Intermediate School||Canton|
|Middle Level||Autumn||Baltimore||Hartford Magnet Trinity College Academy||Hartford|
|High School||Jeanne||Manfredi||Lyme-Old Lyme High School||Old Lyme|
|2011-12||Elementary||Pellegrino||Mancini||Ivy Drive School||Bristol|
|Middle Level||Kristen||Juda||Har-Bur Middle School||Burlington|
|High School||No Award Recipient for 2011-12|
|2010-11||Elementary||Michael||Pearce||Highland Park Elementary School||Manchester|
|Middle Level||Jill||Wnuk||East Hartford Middle School||East Hartford|
|High School||No Award Recipient for 2010-11|
|2009-10||Elementary||Jill||Pilon||East Farms School||Farmington|
|Middle Level||Thomas||Moore||Lincoln Middle School||Meriden|
|High School||Kathleen||Schwartz-Young||Bassick High School||Bridgeport|
|2008-09||Elementary||Marilyn||Brenning||Hayestown Elementary School||Danbury|
|Middle Level||Diane||Marinaro||Hamden Middle School||Hamden|
|High School||Toussaint||Olivetti||Glastonbury High School||Glastonbury|